PoINT Archival Gateway (PAG) 4.0 is a tape-based S3 object storage and provides Glacier compatible functionality. This on-prem Glacier solution with tape integration can be used by all applications which support object storage as target based on Amazon S3 Glacier. Exactly this functionality is added in Veeam Backup & Replication (VBR) v12.1.
With VBR v12.1, PAG is supported as Glacier-capable on-prem storage solution in the Archive Tier of a Veeam Scale-out Backup Repository. The Archive tier of VBR v12.1 is an additional tier of storage for archive and cost saving purposes.
For integration with VBR v12.1, PAG supports the archiving extension of the Veeam Smart Object Storage API (SOSAPI).
Of course, PAG also supports S3 Object Locking. This function in combination with tape provides true immutable storage and strongest protection against cyberattacks for your backup data.
The combination of Veeam Backup & Replication v12.1 and PoINT Archival Gateway 4.0 allows integration of tape storage in the Archive Tier through the standardized Amazon S3 Glacier interface. This on-prem Glacier solution with PoINT Archival Gateway provides many advantages, e.g. compared to cloud backup:
- No ingest, egress and transaction costs (as usual for some cloud providers)
- Protection from ransomware and cybercrime through air-gap (true immutable storage)
- No vendor lock-in regarding storage hardware
- Data sovereignty through on-prem solution
- Sustainability by less energy consumption and lower CO2 emissions